The Benefits of Exercise
The word exercise, for most adults, conjures up images of working out in the gym, running on a treadmill, lifting weights, cycling or running on the open road.
But for kids, exercise means playing and being physically active. Kids exercise when they have gym class at school, during breaks, at dance class or soccer practice, while riding bikes, or when playing with friends in the afternoons.
The lockdown in many countries has made exercising an activity which needs to be managed more carefully than before. Space is more limited, it is not possible to go to the gym, equipment is no longer available. There is a lot more creativity involved and many families have risen to the challenge.
Both adults and children benefit from regular exercise:
- It builds stronger muscles and bones.
- Bodies are leaner and more effecient.
- There is less risk of becoming overweight.
- There is a lower chance of getting diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
- It improves the quality of life and boosts energy levels.
- Coping with life’s stressful moments is also made easier.